The Shortest URL ShortenersJune 9th, 2009 by in Articles
I have previously posted a roundup of 20 Really Short URL Shorteners, but now I feel the need to list the shortest URL shorteners out there, or at least the ones I know about. Basically, the shortest domain name possible is one that is made up of 3 letters and a dot; the first character could be a letter, number, or a Unicode character followed by the dot and the 2 letters of ccTLD (country code top-level domain).
Finding such a short domain name is not easy, even though there are more than 250 ccTLDs to choose from, and many domain lookup services to help you achieve that such as domai.nr. For that reason, and to set them apart from the many similar services, I bring you this roundup of the shortest URL shorteners, hoping their existence will be contrary to their characters length.
Bonus – untiny.me
Untiny.me allows you to un-shorten or to get the original URL of a shortened one.
- 20 Really Short URL Shorteners
- 15 Domain Lookup Sites That Do It as You Type
- 10 Online Clipboards for Easy Text Sharing
Helpful Articles and Resources
- Country code top-level domain – From Wikipedia
- List of ccTLDs – From IANA
- VisiBone Country Chart an interesting map of internet country codes. (via Jacopo Farina)
- How To Easily Create Your Own URL Shortener With WordPress – by Rae Hoffman of Outspoken Media
- PHPurl a free and simple script in case you want to create your own URL shortening service – by Nile Flores of Blondish.net
- Shorten URL – a useful Firefox Add-on currently supporting 100 URL shortening services by LouCypher whom I thank for bringing to my attention a couple of the shortest URL shorteners I didn’t know about.
Know Some More?
You know the drill; share them with everyone by adding them in the comments.
Subscribe to our feed and never miss another article.